Cooler, Cool Mountain
Big Penguin, has commissioned you to rebuild Cool Cool Mountain, but he doesn’t mind how you do it - as long as it's tall and cool… just like him. He also is giving you full creative control on how you compose their new home - he would like some new areas and items on the mount (he heard of new items and accessories in the new update - he may be homeless but he is on top of his Mario news!)
He wants presents for the penguin clan as it is the holiday season but he wants them hidden or challenging to get them, they need to earn their rewards for a sense of pride and accomplishment - given then the slightly colder shoulder apparently.
Why not include a clear condition for fun… you could always do with more Gommba Stomping to get a jump start on your New Year resolutions!
Super Mario Maker 2
The Super Mario Maker 2 game is getting a legendary update. On Dec. 5, a free update to Super Mario Maker 2 for the Nintendo Switch system adds Link from the Legend of Zelda series as a playable character, new course parts, and a new gameplay mode.
What you will need:
Your own copy of Super Mario Maker 2
A Nintendo Switch Families Console
A Stable online connection
Nintendo Switch Online
A way of communicating (we recommend Discord): - https://discordapp.com/invite/p77gGNC
A part of a Nintendo Players Community Facebook - https://nintendoplayers.uk/find
Preferred controller type
Building the Kingdom: SMM2 x NPUK
NPUK have been commissioned by construction worker Mario & Luigi to build the most amazing Super Mario Maker 2 levels the community has to offer. Let your imagination run wild over a series of themed contests to build a specially curated selection of levels by fans across the United Kingdom. You can learn more about the part one of the competition through the original article here!
How it works
You will presented with a theme, along with guidelines of what the commission is specifically looking for. Other than that, it is up to you to create your own fantasmical levels.
Submitting your level is easy. Once you’ve published it, all you need to do is provide your level ID to the admin of your local NPUK community. If you're not part of a groups you can find your local here! (Please note that you can only submit one level per competition, but we will always use your most recently submitted level.)
Submissions: Monday 16th December 2019 at 17:00 UK
Deadline: Monday 30th December 2019 at 17:00 UK
Once the deadline has passed, up to two (2) levels from each community will be shortlisted by our judges based upon specific criteria:
- Fun Factor - is your level fun? Really difficult levels may decrease your fun factor.
- Theming - how well does your level fit the commission criteria?
- Design - Does it feel unique? Does it feel broken?
- Aesthetics - Does your level look good? Does it sound good?
The admin of each community will collect every submitted level code and will be sent for judging. They are scored on the criteria above.
The Top Two (2) levels of each community will then be put into a shortlist for a public vote.
You the player, will then be able to vote for your top three levels.
1st choice = Three (3) points
2nd choice = Two (2) points
3rd choice = One (1) point.
The three (3) levels with the most amount of points will win. In the event of a tie, the level that received the best score from the shortlisting will claim victory. In the rare situation the shortlisted scores are also tied, judges will re-judge the tied levels to determine the winners.
Voting will take place for 7 days once shortlisted level has been announced.
Please ensure you follow these general rules. They are put into place to ensure the competition remains fair and in good sportsmanship:
- This competition is only open to residents of the United Kingdom and those who are part of a NPUK community (perspective members of a community included too)
- Levels MUST be created using Super Mario Maker 2 for Nintendo Switch family systems
- Do not spam your submissions (i.e. constantly sending your submission/s in, you only need to send it in once unless you have made any edits to it)
- Do not insert any profanity, inappropriate theming, or anything else deemed inappropriate… remember, the game is rated PEGI 3
- Do not submit levels under multiple accounts
- Do not submit another player’s level as your own
- Do not exploit any glitches or hacks
- Do not beg for or trade votes… just let people vote for what levels they really enjoyed
- Please remain civil about other people’s submissions
- Be kind to animals :)