World 4 - Brothers Crossing
Nook Inc. recently approached us asking for a new level that is inspired by their upcoming Deserted Island Package. They are allowing some creative freedom as long as it makes sense, so your island could have a dense jungle or a spooky ghost house… it could even have a volcano! As long as it makes sense, the shareholders of Nook Inc. will be happy.
What is very important however is that your level should have some sort of clear condition inspired by the various activities from previous Animal Crossing ventures. Will you do a spot of fishing underwater with some Cheep Cheeps? Go on a scavenger hunt in a spooky little hut? Or have a Goomba stomping festival in the forest in the night?
Oh, did we also mention that, for this commission, the voting procedure has changed? Now the respective communities get to decide which of their levels go to the national vote… how’s that for New Horizons!
Nintendo Players UK - Building the Kingdom
NPUK have been commissioned by construction worker Mario & Luigi to build the most amazing Super Mario Maker 2 levels the community has to offer. Let your imagination run wild over a series of themed contests to build a specially curated selection of levels by fans across the United Kingdom. You can learn about the previous parts of the competition and winners in there article here!
The top three winners will win:
- A copy of Animal Crossing New Horizons for the Nintendo Switch
- An Animal Crossing Themed Goodie bag!
Super Mario Maker 2
The Super Mario Maker 2 game is getting a legendary update. On Dec. 5, a free update to Super Mario Maker 2 for the Nintendo Switch system adds Link from the Legend of Zelda series as a playable character, new course parts, and a new gameplay mode.
What you will need:
Your own copy of Super Mario Maker 2
A Nintendo Switch Families Console
A Stable online connection
Nintendo Switch Online
A Twitter Account (This must be your account, not a bot! )
A way of communicating (we recommend Discord): - https://discordapp.com/invite/p77gGNC
A part of a Nintendo Players Community Facebook - https://nintendoplayers.uk/find
Preferred controller type
How it works
You will be presented with a theme, along with guidelines of what the commission is specifically looking for. Other than that, it is up to you to create your own fantasmical levels.
Submitting your level is easy. Once you’ve finished it all up, completed it, and published it, there are two seperate ways to enter:
- If you are part of a NPUK community, please submit your level name and ID to your local community admin.
- If you are NOT part of a NPUK community, please post a tweet tagging #SuperMarioMaker2, #NPUKBuildingtheKingdom and @NintendoPlayUK along with your level name and ID. (To ensure we find you're level and correctly enter your level for consideration please use the NPUK tags and Twitter handle to ensure visibility.)
Please note that you can only submit one level per competition using only one method of entry, but we will always use your most recently submitted level.
Submissions open: Monday 10th February 2020 at 17:00 UK
Deadline: Friday 28th February 2020 at 17:00 UK
Once the deadline has passed, two (2) levels from each community will be voted on by their respective group, and ten (10) levels from non-community members will be voted on by a NPUK panel. These levels will then go through to a national vote bearing the following factors in mind:
- Fun Factor - is your level fun? Really difficult levels may decrease your fun factor.
- Theming - how well does your level fit the commission criteria?
- Design - Does it feel unique? Does it feel broken?
- Aesthetics - Does your level look good? Does it sound good?
The community vote will start on Monday 2nd March 2020 17:00 UK time and ends on Monday 9th March 2020 17:00 UK time.
- The main area MUST use either the Forest or Ground themes.
- Secondary areas may use any theme
- Clear Conditions are compulsory… remember, the game will not let you place checkpoint flags with CCs, so be sure your level isn’t too long
- There must be clear inspiration to Animal Crossing: New Horizons’ Deserted Island Package
The admin of each community will collect every submitted level code and will be sent for judging. They are scored on the criteria above.
The Top Two (2) levels of each community will then be put into a shortlist for a public vote.
You the player, will then be able to vote for your top three levels.
1st choice = Three (3) points
2nd choice = Two (2) points
3rd choice = One (1) point.
The three (3) levels with the most amount of points will win. In the event of a tie, the level that received the best score from the shortlisting will claim victory. In the rare situation the shortlisted scores are also tied, judges will re-judge the tied levels to determine the winners.
Voting will take place for 7 days once shortlisted level has been announced. As this is the first to have national entries, we'll do our best to have get this curated, judged and anounced as soon as possible.
Please ensure you follow these general rules. They are put into place to ensure the competition remains fair and in good sportsmanship:
- This competition is only open to residents of the United Kingdom and those who are part of a NPUK community (perspective members of a community included too)
- Levels MUST be created using Super Mario Maker 2 for Nintendo Switch family systems
- Do not spam your submissions (i.e. constantly sending your submission/s in, you only need to send it in once unless you have made any edits to it)
- Do not insert any profanity, inappropriate theming, or anything else deemed inappropriate… remember, the game is rated PEGI 3
- Do not submit levels under multiple accounts
- Do not submit another player’s level as your own
- Do not submit levels using both methods, your NPUK entry will always be prioritised
- Do not exploit any glitches or hacks
- Do not beg for or trade votes… just let people vote for what levels they really enjoyed
- Please remain civil about other people’s submissions
- Be kind to animals… unless it’s Tom Nook :)